BrailleBack is an app for the Android Accessibility Service that helps blind users make use of braille devices. It works together with the TalkBack app to give a combined braille and speech experience.
This app lets you connect a supported refreshable braille display to your device via Bluetooth. Screen content will be presented on the braille display and you can navigate and interact with your device using the keys on the display. It is possible to input text using the braille keyboard.
Devices supported in this version:
- APH Refreshabraille
- Esys EuroBraille
- Freedom Scientific Focus Blue
- Harpo Braillepen 12
- HIMS (BrailleSense, Braille EDGE)
- Humanware Brailliant (1st generation and BI)
- Papenmeier Braillex Trio
- Baum VarioConnect
This app is only active when Accessibility is enabled.
Steps to activate this app:
- Go to Settings
- Select Accessibility
- Select BrailleBack, and enable the checkbox
- Go back to Settings
- Select Bluetooth
- If your bluetooth braille display is not listed, make sure the display is in pairing mode and select Search For Devices
- Select the name of your braille display to make sure that it is paired
For further instructions, press the space bar and dots 1, 2 and 3 on the display at the same time or choose Key Bindings in the BrailleBack settings.